Thursday, August 4, 2011

Why Study Abroad


On August 28, 2011 I will board a plane at Logan Airport and head out on my journey. First stopping in Dublin, Ireland I will then make my way to the city I am about to call home for four months of my life, Florence, Italy.



When asked why I am going abroad it's hard to come up with answers other than the obvious; immerse myself in a new country and of course try all the delicious Italian food, but thinking deeper, there are more reasons than that.


First off, four months is a long time to spend in a country you don't speak the language, you don't know anyone and you especially don't know your way around. Therefore it places you way outside of your comfort zone. Even though this scares me it also excites me because when you are placed out of your comfort zone is when you really start to realize more about yourself and grow as a person.


Second, I've never been to Europe and what better way to see it than living there! The program I'm in even gives a two week break in October, so hello travel and not to mention I only have classes Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. So basically every weekend is a four day weekend and a chance to explore Florence as well as the rest of Italy and Europe.


Lastly, having lived in Massachusetts and Vermont for most of the entirety of my life I haven't been exposed to a lot of foreign culture. The rich history and art of Italy intrigue me as well as the language and food so it's a perfect opportunity to experience it. And when else is it going to be this easy to pick up my life and move to Italy for four months? Probably not for a long time.


And of course, how could I not mention the Jersey Shore. The cast just spent four months living in Italy filming a season and let's be honest, if they can do it, it gives me a little confidence I'll be just fine.


So that's why I'm going to Florence, Italy in case you were wondering and I can't wait to keep you updated on my explorations and experiences. I'll update you soon!


-Shannon


No comments:

Post a Comment